Android is the dominant mobile operating system in the world, with a market share of over 70%. iOS is the second most popular operating system, with a market share of around 28%.
That’s over 3 billion active users spanning over 190 countries worldwide.
The New Android 14 is expected to start rolling out in October 2023.
Apple is at version 16 and this month will launch the iPhone 15 range along with iOS 17.
The market share of Android and iOS in the world, the United States, China, India, and the United Kingdom:
- Android: 70.89%
- iOS: 28.36%
- Android: 53.1%
- iOS: 46.9%
- Android: 99.7%
- iOS: 0.3%
- Android: 94.2%
- iOS: 5.8%
- Android: 48.1%
- iOS: 51.9%
The market share of Android and iOS varies by country. In the United States, Android and iOS are fairly evenly split, with Android having a slight lead.
In China, Android is the overwhelming favorite, with iOS having a very small market share. In India, Android is also the dominant operating system, but iOS has a slightly larger market share than in the United States.
In the United Kingdom, Android and iOS are also fairly evenly split, but iOS has a slight lead.
There are a number of factors that contribute to the different market shares of Android and iOS in different countries. These factors include the price of smartphones, the availability of different models, and the preferences of consumers.
In general, Android smartphones are more affordable than iOS smartphones. This is one of the reasons why Android is so popular in developing countries, where consumers are more price-sensitive.
Finally, the preferences of consumers also play a role. Some users prefer the customization options that Android offers, while others prefer the simplicity and ease of use of iOS.
The top 5 most popular mobile smartphones in 2023, according to various sources:
- Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max
- Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
- Google Pixel 7 Pro
- OnePlus 11 Pro
- Xiaomi 12 Pro
The top-selling smartphones are all from Apple or Samsung. This is not surprising, as these two brands are the most popular smartphone manufacturers in the world.
|Launch date||September 2008|
|HQ||Menlo Park, California|
|People||Hiroshi Lockheimer (SVP Platforms & Ecosystems), Sundar Pichai (CEO, Alphabet), Andy Rubin (Android founder)|
Some of the benefits of iOS compared to Android:
- Simplicity and ease of use: iOS is known for its simplicity and ease of use. The interface is clean and uncluttered, and the settings are easy to find and understand. This makes it a good choice for people who are not tech-savvy.
- Security: iOS is known for its security. Apple has a strict app approval process, which helps to ensure that only high-quality and secure apps are available in the App Store. iOS also has a number of security features built-in, such as Touch ID and Face ID.
- Updates: Apple releases new versions of iOS over a longer period and is available for all compatible devices that can benefit from new features and security updates.
- Ecosystem: Apple has a strong ecosystem of products and services, which can be a benefit for users who are invested in the Apple ecosystem. For example, users can easily sync their iPhone with their Mac, iPad, and Apple Watch.
- Third-party apps: There are a wide variety of high-quality third-party apps available for iOS. This is because Apple has a relatively open app store policy, which allows developers to publish apps without having to go through a rigorous approval process.
Android also has many benefits, such as:
- Customization: Android is more customizable than iOS. Users can change the look and feel of their device to a greater extent, and they can also install apps from outside of the Google Play Store.
- Choice: There are more Android devices available with nearly 1,300 brands producing Android devices.
- Price: Android devices are generally more affordable starting at a low price of £100. This means that they are more affordable as the iPhone starts at at least $429 or £449.